Do you love exploring data? Do you want to build your full-time career around Microsoft SQL Server database technology? Are you constantly looking for how learning SQL Server systems can improve your career, or more specifically...
- What is the demand for SQL career? Does the SQL career/role offer great stability?
- Which companies are looking for Microsoft SQL Server experts?
- Is it easy to learn SQL and make a career? What specific educational background do you need to pursue a career in SQL?
- Which Microsoft SQL Server role should I choose - SQL Server Developer, SQL Server DBA, MSBI Developer or Power BI Developer?
- Is it easy to get MS SQL Server database platform jobs?
- Should I choose a SQL Server certification, if so which one should I pursue?
- I work in another technology and would like to know how to change my career in SQL?
If you get stuck on these questions, we have answers for all of them. Microsoft SQL Server is the best database management system that you can explore for a prosperous career prospect. The field is equally inviting for college students to professionals belonging to any process from IT to non-IT.
SQL career can greatly increase your ultimate ambition and earning goals:
22,8 Sr. $
Business Intelligence Market
The business intelligence market is expected to reach $22.8 billion over the next two years. Who said? Gardener.
Microsoft SQL Server is one of the 3 most popular database management systems in the world. Who said? Statistics.
Microsoft SQL Server has the largest market share - 20.79%.
By 2022, the demand for SQL skills is expected to increase by 20%. Predict who? Analysts at JanBask Training
Microsoft --- "Be What's Next"
The Microsoft story, present and beyond
Who shaped Microsoft?
- Microsoft was founded on April 4, 1975 in New Mexico by Bill Gates and Paul Allen in Albuquerque.
- In the mid-1980s, the company began to dominate the operating system market with MS-DOS, followed by MS Windows.
- Gartner's Magic Quadrant recognizes Tableau as a leader in Business Intelligence and Analytics.
- SQL Server (Relational Database Management System) released its first SQL Server 1.0 on April 24, 1989.
- The latest version of SQL Server is SQL Server 2019 released on November 4, 2019.
Microsoft's All-Time Acquisitions
- Microsoft has acquired 225 companies to date (107 of which are headquartered in the United States).
- LinkedIn is Microsoft's biggest acquisition, which happened in 2016 with a $26.2 billion offer (it gave them access to 500 million LinkedIn users).
- Forethought.Inc was Microsoft's first acquisition on July 30, 1987, later renamed Microsoft PowerPoint.
- 44% of Microsoft's SQL Server customers are located in the US, 7% in the UK and 5% in India.
- Of all MS SQL Server customers, 36% are small businesses, 44% are medium-sized businesses, and 21% are large businesses. (SQL Server is used by companies of all sizes).
- MS SQL Server customers come from many industries: computer software (most important of all), hardware, IT, healthcare, finance, education, retail, business consulting, telecommunications, marketing/advertising.
- Brands like Accenture, Stack Overflow, Intuit, MIT, Stack Overflow keep MS SQL Server in their technology stack.
Locations where Microsoft offices are located around the world
- Microsoft's corporate headquarters, known as "The Microsoft Campus", is located in Redmond, Washington, USA.
- Microsoft has offices in approximately 149 locations in 93 countries.
Microsoft work culture - What is it like to work at Microsoft?
Microsoft's work culture is defined as hard-working and balanced at Satya Nadela's estate. Microsoft campus employees say the company offers a great work-life balance.
Microsoft and its greatest achievements
Microsoft products are a great success because they were able to meet current technological needs, business opportunities and market demands. Here are some of the powerful Microsoft products that have set the benchmark for others:
Read: Different types of SQL Joins
What is Microsoft's revenue?
In fiscal 2020, Microsoft earned $143 billion (which is a record for the company).
Can you also work with Microsoft?
- Yes, you can also work with Microsoft if you have demonstrated skills for the applied role through formal training and are committed to learning and improving your caliber to the fullest.
- The Microsoft interview is not a hard nut to crack when you have an impressive portfolio in hand. There are usually 4-5 rounds of interviews, each testing your --- problem solving, design, analysis, coding and testing skills to the core.
SQL career path
Careers/Trends and Job Opportunities in SQL Server - Worldwide!
#1Industries that use SQL Server technology the most
- SQL Server technology is used by industries - computer software, hardware, IT, healthcare, financial services, retail, education, insurance, construction, etc.
- Of all these industries, IT and computer software have the best prospects for a career in the SQL developer role.
44%Top Countries Most Exploiting SQL Server Database Technology
- SQL Server Technology has widespread customers with vacancies in major countries like USA, UK, Canada, India, Australia, Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands etc.
- 44% of SQL Server customers are located in the US, 5% in India and 7% in the UK.
36%SQL Server database technology used by business types
From all SQL Server clients:
- 36% are small businesses.
- 44% are medium-sized companies.
- And 21% are large companies.
SQL Server career path
MS SQL Career --- Which SQL Server role is right for me?
Here are the 4 types of SQL Server functions --- to choose the one you want!
MS SQL Server-Entwickler
If you are interested in designing database tables and structures, writing SQL queries to integrate third-party applications, creating stored procedure and query plans, and troubleshooting performance issues --- you can become an MS SQL Server developer.
Microsoft SQL BI Developer
If you are interested in developing and designing business intelligence solutions, presenting analysis and reporting of any information and creating and executing queries on data queries --- you can have a career in the SQL Developer profile!
MS SQL Server-DBA
If you are open to configuring, implementing and maintaining SQL database server system, performance monitoring, troubleshooting and data backup --- you can become MS SQL Server DBA.
MS Power BI-Entwickler
If you are interested in developing visual reports, KPI scoreboards, dashboards, reporting templates for analytical services, connecting data resources, importing and transporting data for BI, you can choose SQL DBA career path.
Microsoft SQL Career Path
MS SQL Career Path is for everyone - from all non-technical to technical experts!
To track career opportunities in SQL:
If you don't believe it, we enroll candidates from a variety of educational backgrounds and IT and non-IT career fields, and with our effective delivery and dedication to learning, we manage to equip them with all SQL Server skills and knowledge in 6-8 training weeks.
- You can gain knowledge of basic SQL, database systems or RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems). Don't worry if you don't have this basic knowledge, you can easily learn it during the beginners module of your SQL Server training.
- They may belong to any technical or non-technical background.
- You can become any corporate professional to a non-corporate or self-employed professional 😊.
- If you're in IT, that would be a bonus, but even if you're not, don't worry. Learning SQL Server database technology isn't rocket science - with a few weeks of formal training, dedication and self-study, you'll be a well-trained professional in no time.
Microsoft SQL Career Path
MS SQL Server Career Path - Are SQL Professionals Paid Well?
"The median software developer salary at Microsoft is $122,000 per year (based on salaries compiled on LinkedIn)."
Check out the average annual salaries of SQL Careers in the top 4 countries:
Here are some tips on how to aim for big paychecks from the entry level.
Possess precise skills and knowledge
Candidates who absorb and reflect perfect SQL Server knowledge and skills during the interview have high chances of winning well.
Read: SQL Server Reporting Service: Everything You Need to Know About Parameterized Reporting
Moving to other cities
Different countries have different salary levels. Some pay a lot compared to others. You can move to major countries like US, UK, India and Canada to start earning big right from the start.
expand your network
Expand your professional network and reach. The more professionals around you, the more it will help you to identify lucrative SQL career opportunities.
Keep learning and practicing
Right after completing your SQL Server training, keep practicing your skills and learning new things that seem relevant to recruiters.
Focus on communication skills and personality
Companies love to hire people who exude great communication and confidence. Work on nurturing his personality, as this will help convince him to want more.
Do not lose hope!
In the end, always keep the trust. Know your skills and talents, work hard, stay confident and the right opportunity you want will follow!
MS SQL career path
SQL Server Certifications---Why Do You Need Them?
Once you've completed your SQL Server training, don't forget your SQL Server Developer, MS SQL BI Developer, Power BI Developer and SQL Server DBA certifications!
What are SQL Server certifications?
- Microsoft SQL Server certifications are the benchmarks that validate your skills/knowledge on using SQL Server for business.
- With certifications, the identities of recruiters that you have actually been tested by the highest authorities at Microsoft are considered suitable for DBA and real-time developer roles in any organization.
Why do you need SQL Server certifications?
Writing MS SQL certifications will help you to:
- Get a big boost in interview and screening calls.
- Great recognition for non-certified SQL Server professionals.
- Experienced strong preference during the negotiation round for the desired package.
To remember! SQL Server certifications don't guarantee a job, they give you an edge. But to be successful at work, you must work to strengthen your skills, resume and certification, along with a lot of confidence.
Which MS SQL Server do you need to qualify for?
- Microsoft Database Fundamentals MCSA: SQL Database Development 2016
- SQL database development
- MCSA: SQL-Server 2012/2014
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Query
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Database Administration
- Designing Business Intelligence Solutions Using Microsoft SQL Server
- Implement data models and reports using Microsoft SQL Server
- Data Analysis with Microsoft Power BI
- MCSA: BI SQL Development 2016
- MCSA: BI Reports
SQL Career Path --- How to start a career in SQL Server?
You Can Own SQL Server Careers In Just These 6 Easy Steps!
Step - 1 Conduct basic research on SQL Server database technology
Conduct thorough research on SQL Server technology to learn:
- How suitable is it for you to learn and have a lifelong career?
- What components and job profiles does it cover?
- How easy can you learn and grow as an expert/professional?
- How practical is this technology for making a career from a distance?
- What salary packages and growth opportunities does it visibly offer?
Get answers to all these questions before you finally say yes to this career in SQL.
Step - 2 Perform a Quick Career Consultation
Read: SQL Server recovery models - simple, full and bulk logging
- To get more clarity of mind, talk to someone in IT, or more specifically someone who already works with SQL Server technology - to understand how good it is to have a career.
- If you don't have anyone to give you SQL career advice, you can talk to JanBask Training's expert consultants; taking you from start to finish on why you should pursue a career in this technology and how to get started. Get quick SQL career advice now!
Step - 3 Decide which career you want to follow
Don't wait to make a decision after thorough research and advice. Decide what you want to track. Don't wait until 6 months to years to determine the right time to launch.
The time is now, start early for immediate results!
Step - 4 Get a Quick MS SQL Server Training
To enter the world of Microsoft SQL, the right skills are a must. There's no better way than joining a professional SQL Server training platform.
Formal SQL Server training will:
- Get real-time information about SQL Server roles and responsibilities.
- Help prepare for SQL Server certifications.
- And be fully prepared for the possibilities of SQL Server.
"You're just one training session away from starting your long-term career with Microsoft SQL Server database technology."
Step - 5 Get SQL Server Certifications Like a Pro
"The SQL Server certifications are an important benchmark." Prepare for them during training, qualify them and spruce up your resume when hiring.”
- SQL Server certifications are the best complement that validate your skills and knowledge from the highest bodies and give you a huge boost during the hiring process.
- Did you know that even some companies consider certification mandatory (so why take the risk?)
Step - 6 Expand your network and apply for jobs
- Expand your professional network with SQL Server and Power BI experts to share knowledge, get SQL career advice, and attract some SQL career opportunities.
- Always practice what you've learned and explore innovations around SQL Server database technology.
- Start applying for internships, projects and jobs to start your amazing SQL career.
A career in SQL offers great flexibility - switch to other profiles!
Are you worried that if you start a career down the SQL developer or DBA path, you might be stuck in the same field forever? What if we say you won't? This is a relief right.
If you're feeling dull or uninspired in this area, you can always switch or up your skills (with little training and determination) to other data-centric technologies like data analytics, data science, or business analytics.
You don't even have to start your career from scratch. SQL Server technology provides a deep understanding of database design, management, and analysis that can easily be applied to any other data-related skill or technology.
then start yourCareers in SQL ServerToday with a lot of agility and room for expansion for the future!
Internet SQL Career Frequently Asked Questions --- From all of you!
#1. Why make a career out of SQL Server?
The SQL career holds promise for individuals who want to work in data-centric organizations with a large salary scale. If you have a passion for developing business intelligence solutions for enterprise data management, you can easily find productive SQL career opportunities at top IT companies. Not sure if you're a good fit for career opportunities in SQL? Get our quick SQL career advice and free demo courses!
#two. Is SQL Server technology easy to learn?
At first glance, learning SQL Server database technology can seem overwhelming, but with the right training, resources, dedication and core, you can improve it in 6-8 weeks. Don't worry, even if you don't have a basic knowledge of the SQL language and database management systems, SQL Server Training can prepare you for everything with the basics first. If you're not sure about this technology, get quick and comprehensive SQL career advice from the consultancy!
#3.When should I choose a career as a Microsoft MS SQL DBA?
You can choose the SQL DBA career path if you are interested in designing, implementing, maintaining and securing SQL Server databases for the corporate campus. And rapid availability of relevant data to end users and customers without delay.
#4. What are the average salaries for careers in SQL?
For MS SQL Server Developer profile you can earn an average salary from $90,837 to $122,641, for SQL Server BI Developer from $93,067 to $124,101, for Power BI Developer from $95,000 to $ $125,000 and for SQL Server -DBA you can get $89,000 to $113,000 annually.
Final Thoughts About MS SQL Server Career!
MS SQL Server is a desirable career path in terms of pay, job satisfaction, learning, growth and other conditions that you often look for. And with this database management tool's insane demand (now and for years to come) for concentric data entities, you don't have to worry about your MS SQL Server career growth. We hope that with this complete MS SQL Server guide or career path, we have helped you to find answers to your endless questions about:
- Why MS SQL Server Career Path? "Or how good is career in SQL Server?"
- How is career in MS SQL in 2020 or beyond?
- Which SQL Server roles or profiles to select and how?
- What is the demand for SQL Server roles?
- What is the average salary for a career as a SQL developer or administrator?
- Why are MS SQL certifications so sought after?
- How do I start a career in SQL Server?
Don't get hung up on exciting career opportunities in SQL Server. If we still have some of your questions unanswered, we'd love to hear from you in the comments below. Or if you're interested in more detailed MS SQL Server career advice, how about planning yourfree MS SQL career advicewith us?
What is the career path for SQL Server? ›
SQL career paths include SQL Server Database Administration and Development, Business intelligence professionals, Data science, and engineering will come in successful SQL career path. DBA career has high demand out of all SQL career roles.How do I start a career in SQL Server? ›
- A bachelor's degree in Computer science or a related field. ...
- A few years of experience as an SQL developer or similar roles. ...
- An excellent understanding of SQL programming and databases is a prerequisite for almost every SQL developer position.
SQL Server is one of the most popular database platforms for businesses across all sorts of industries. This means that if you have skills in its use, you could be an in-demand candidate for a variety of positions.Where is top 3 salary in SQL Server? ›
Here is a way to do this task using dense_rank() function. Query : select * from( select ename, sal, dense_rank() over(order by sal desc)r from Employee) where r=&n; To find to the 2nd highest sal set n = 2 To find 3rd highest sal set n = 3 and so on.Is SQL high paying jobs? ›
The best SQL Developer jobs can pay up to $170,500 per year.
Also, SQL developers partner with database administrators and application developers to enhance queries and maintain databases. SQL developers also advise on the optimal use of databases across companies.
SQL Server Developer salary in India ranges between ₹ 2.0 Lakhs to ₹ 9.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4.5 Lakhs.What is the salary of SQL Server Developer? ›
How much does a SQL Server Developer make? As of Feb 26, 2023, the average annual pay for a SQL Server Developer in the United States is $103,114 a year.Can I get a job with SQL only? ›
Structured query language (SQL) is one of the most popular programming languages today, especially in data. You should probably be familiar with it if you want to pursue a data career, but you don't necessarily need to be an expert. You can get surprisingly far with just basic SQL skills.Which SQL is most in demand? ›
Today, MySQL is one of the most popular and widely used SQL databases. It is also one of the most used databases in Web Applications. Some of the world's largest Web-Scale applications (e.g., Facebook, Uber) uses MySQL.What job uses SQL the most? ›
- Data scientist.
- Data analyst.
- Business analyst.
- Web designer.
- Quality assurance engineer.
- Server engineer.
- Software engineer.
- Data warehouse architect.
Can you get a SQL job without a degree? ›
Entry-level SQL developers may only be required to have an associate's degree in computer science. Most companies prefer that SQL developer candidates have a bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Job seekers should have several years of SQL development experience.Is SQL DBA job is stressful? ›
“A Database Administrator has a special responsibility for a component that is critical to the success or failure of a business: its DATA. This makes being a DBA very challenging and stressful given its many responsibilities.Is SQL Server end of life? ›
SQL Server Compact 4.0 goes end of life on July 13, 2021. What does this mean for you? Well, there will be no more security updates or patches and technical support.Is SQL Server still in demand? ›
SQL has been there for more than three to four decades. It is still in demand and will not go away soon as it is a powerful tool for various sectors of industry.What is the second highest salary in SQL? ›
SELECT MAX(SALARY) FROM Employee WHERE SALARY < (SELECT MAX(SALARY) FROM Employee); This query will give you the desired output i.e 12000, which is the second highest salary.What is the 5th highest salary in SQL Server? ›
From above result it is verified that the required Fifth highest salary is 28000. Lastly, the query which is outer most, is: "select * from emp where salary = result of previous SQL query ".How do I get the highest salary in SQL? ›
Below is simple query to find the employee whose salary is highest. select *from employee where salary=(select Max(salary) from employee);What is the salary of SQL Developer for 5 years experience? ›
A mid-career SQL Developer with 4-9 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹6.4 Lakhs per year, while an experienced SQL Developer with 10-20 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹11.2 Lakhs per year.How do you find top 5 salary in SQL? ›
- SELECT MAX(salary) FROM employee; ...
- SELECT MAX(slary), dept_id from employee group by dept_id; ...
- select distinct salary from employee order by salary desc limit 5; ...
- select distinct salary, dept_id from employee order by salary desc limit 5;
A mid-career MS SQL Developer with 4-9 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹6.2 Lakhs per year, while an experienced MS SQL Developer with 10-20 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹9.6 Lakhs per year.
Does SQL have a future? ›
SQL will not be replaced for a long time, as it has a number of key benefits: It is very popular among data professionals. Leading tech companies rely on relational databases and SQL. Professionals working with data are used to SQL; it's quite challenging to re-train the workforce to use another tool.How much time to learn SQL? ›
How Long Does it Take to Learn SQL? Because SQL is a relatively simple language, learners can expect to become familiar with the basics within two to three weeks.How much does SQL certification cost? ›
The Oracle Database SQL Certified Associate Exam costs $245. This is a one-time fee, including the cost of the certification exam itself and access to the certificate of completion.Can a non IT background person learn SQL? ›
Anyone can learn SQL. It's not as hard as you think!What's next after SQL? ›
Python. Python is one of the most-used scripting languages. Like SQL, it is considered to be easy to learn. In addition, Python is extremely useful for analyzing and visualizing data.Is SQL job easy? ›
Generally speaking, SQL is an easy language to learn. If you understand programming and already know some other languages, you can learn SQL in a few weeks. If you're a beginner, completely new to programming, it can take longer.What database does Amazon use? ›
Amazon RDS supports 6 familiar engines, including 3 open source databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MariaDB. RDS supports the latest major and minor versions of open source databases, ensuring that the code, applications, and tools you already use today can be used with Amazon RDS.Which database job is best? ›
- SQL Developer. An SQL developer is a software developer who specializes in the design, development, and management of databases using the Structured Query Language (SQL) programming language. ...
- Database Administrator. ...
- Data Architect. ...
- Data Analyst. ...
- Data Scientist. ...
- Database Tester.
In combination with other programming languages like Python, SQL can help you launch your career as a developer or data specialist. There are various relational database management systems (RDBMS) that data professionals and developers can use with SQL.What big companies use SQL Server? ›
- Stack Overflow.
- Alibaba Travels.
- Trendyol Group.
What degree is best for SQL? ›
What Should I Major in to Become an SQL Database Administrator ? Most sql database administrators, 33% to be exact, major in computer science. Some other common majors for an sql database administrator include business and electrical engineering majors.Are SQL certifications worth it? ›
Yes! SQL is a critical skill for working with data. It may be a decades-old language, but don't be fooled. It's as relevant as ever.Does SQL Server have future? ›
The future of SQL is really bright and most of the successful SQL professionals ensure that they know each and everything about current trends of the database and stay updated about the technical market.Is Microsoft SQL Server in demand? ›
Not really; there are still thousands of jobs in the world. However, it is always a good idea to get familiar with new technologies and stay current. If you check the new SQL Server 2022 features, you will notice that the new features are mostly related to Azure compatibility.Will SQL replace Excel? ›
Learning SQL is no replacement for learning Excel, and vice versa. Both tools have their own learning curve—although many claim SQL is more difficult than Excel. That said, learning one tool may make it much easier to learn the other. Most data analysts learn both Excel and SQL.Is SQL still relevant 2023? ›
It's as relevant as ever. In fact, we recently did some number-crunching and discovered that SQL is still the most commonly used programming language in data science. It's even ahead of Python or R! So you definitely do need to learn SQL.How much does a SQL expert make? ›
How much does a SQL Expert make? As of Feb 20, 2023, the average annual pay for a SQL Expert in the United States is $84,811 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $40.77 an hour. This is the equivalent of $1,630/week or $7,067/month.What will replace SQL? ›
Both databases at this point in history, can't replace each other, and it's looking like it'll stay that way. The only way NoSQL databases will surface as a replacement for SQL databases is if NoSQL can find a way to ensure that data is immediately consistent and still maintain its query speed.Why did SQL job fail? ›
Similar to Windows services, SQL Agent Jobs run under a user or service account configured in the job. Job failures can occur when there are permission or authentication issues with the user or service account. Common issues include: Account expired.Can you get a job with just SQL? ›
Structured query language (SQL) is one of the most popular programming languages today, especially in data. You should probably be familiar with it if you want to pursue a data career, but you don't necessarily need to be an expert. You can get surprisingly far with just basic SQL skills.
Do I need a degree for SQL? ›
Entry-level SQL developers may only be required to have an associate's degree in computer science. Most companies prefer that SQL developer candidates have a bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Job seekers should have several years of SQL development experience.Do companies still use SQL? ›
SQL remains one of the most popular and widely used languages for data work and management in 2022.What is the life cycle of SQL Server? ›
Understand the SQL Server lifecycle
Each version of SQL Server is backed by a minimum of 10 years support, which includes five years in mainstream support, and five years in extended support: Mainstream support includes functional, performance, scalability and security updates.
If you are not able to connect to database using "Networking" version, it may happen that SQL Server service has stopped. This can happen for different reasons, from Microsoft Windows updates to recent PC name changes.